White Acorn Squash

Roast and consume.

I wasn't sure what to make of the pale squash in my share this week. It dawned on my its the albino sister of a regular acorn squash. I'm really really excited as the autumn vegetables first enter my kitchen this time of year. I am happy to eat them whole so I can appreciate the flavors, textures and colors. Roasting is the way.

Roasted White Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash, stem removed, halved, and sliced into 6-8 sections
1 tblsp olive oil
1/4 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
generous pinch of salt

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange the squash slices on a cookie sheet, drizzling oil evenly among them. Scatter rosemary and salt over slices and rub so the oil coats the sides and bottoms of the squash.

Cook for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.

This is a simple side dish for any meal, but it would look nice plated on a bed of greens. I actually eat squash (or sometimes roasted yams) for breakfast, because of their nutritional and complex carbohydrate content. I leave the skin on for its fiber. I am also keeping all of the squash seed in the freezer so I can toast them later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Read Nutritional Labels in Chinese

Healthy Eating Taiwan, Pt. 1 Healthy at Home

An Aboriginal Lunch in Taroko Gorge at 達基力部落屋風味餐